Friday, March 19, 2010

No.

I am working on my "No"s. As in, I am trying to limit how often I am saying them.

When I was pregnant with Elisabeth, my Aunt Diane gave me some advice I have always kept tucked into the back of my mind. She told me to be careful with how many "No"s I give out when my baby was little, because I only get so many as a mom. If I use them all up when she's little, I won't have any left when I really need them (aka: teenage years).

She's right.

I know, for a fact, that I often will tell the girls "No" to something because me, myself and I don't want to deal with it. The play dough. The paints. The eleventh book wanting to be read in the last 10 minutes. The story that's being told that has no ending in sight.

But, then I remember. They won't be this age forever.

They aren't going to play baby dolls forever. Or dress up. Or want me to read them books. Or listen to their long thought-out imaginary scenarios. Or cuddle them while they watch another (ANOTHER) Sesame Street.

So, I'm trying. I'm making a conscience effort to really put some thought into why I'm saying "No". Is it because I don't want to deal with it? Because if that's why, then shame on me.

I don't want to use up all my "No"s now. I need to save some for when they ask me if they can go to a sleepover that's unsupervised by parents (Um...NO!). Or if they borrow my car without asking (Um....NO!). Or if I think we could get a dog (Hahahahaha...NO!)

Plus, I really don't want to miss things like this:


And, I want this one...

to feel like she can tell me things without having to worry about me not listening or just saying "No" because that's what I always say.

And, I like her. A lot. So, I'm trying a little harder at this whole "Mommy" thing.

Oh, and that little, fat one? I like her a lot too.

2 comments:

  1. you have the best insights. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, Im trying to learn how to say no....maybe I just need to become a parent, cuz right now I stink at it!

    ReplyDelete