We got a late start to our (now weekly) hiking trip to a new-to-us forest preserve because we wanted to finish getting all the mulch hauled into the garden areas and also because I had a migraine that knocked me out for a while. So, we didn't head out until after 3:30 on Sunday.
We have been telling the kiddos they need to have hats in order to go (because I will lose my mind if we all come back with ticks...not even kidding). Thomas really wanted to wear his Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer stocking cap:
But, Evan was able to convince him to wear this awesome train conductor hat instead.
Our good friends, the Wedwicks, had visited this forest preserve earlier in the week and I quickly sent their pictures to Evan to show him where we *needed* to go on Sunday.
One of the things the kids were most excited about was seeing a small waterfall that leads to the Kishwaukee River. David was determined that he wanted to throw dried leaves into the water and walked quite a ways on the trail with both hands full of leaves.
Watching the boys walk down these stairs to the bottom was only slightly terrifying for someone who doesn't like heights and hates stairs.
Vivian led the way for most of this trip. She is completely fearless.
This is the waterfall. There were enough fallen trees that the bigger kids could climb up to the top of the gorge.
Please watch how Vivian walks up to the top. Keep in mind she has on tennis shoes and in one hand a bucket she had hoped to capture fish or frogs in.
She walked up that log like it was a flat sidewalk! I couldn't even turn the camera to video fast enough to capture her quick jaunt up!!!
Evan and Julia followed her up, but I had to inform the boys that you had to be at least six years old to climb up there because there was no way I was going to try wrangling them as they climbed a gorge. No. Way.
I did tell them that once Evan climbed back down they could climb under the fallen tree with him and touch the water.
She found a walking stick. It came home with us.
They were very proud of themselves.
You guys, it was so lovely. Everything was that spring green that I love so much and the temperature was perfect and it was just a great day to hike.
Looking for creatures to capture.
He really wanted to throw rocks into the river.
Vivian also wanted to throw rocks into the river.
And David.
Sunday Bonnetts!
This was definitely the hardest hike we have done so far with everyone. We didn't stay as long as we usually do and there was more whining and crying than usual. It was the bewitching hour and we were really pushing it with Thomas. But, everyone has asked where we're going this coming weekend, so I guess they're still game.
David needed one more turn to throw rocks.
Julia noticed that her shadow is almost taller than mine.
We all definitely want to come back to this one again soon, preferably earlier in the day before the bewitching hour.
















































No comments:
Post a Comment