Monday, December 6, 2010

I stopped baking for 3 seconds to come say hi to you all.

One of the reasons I love Christmas time is that I can bake to my heart's content and no one objects or whines or cries about how much time I'm spending in the kitchen and how they are being neglected. This might have to do with the fact that I shut them up by giving them cookies to eat. I make batches and batches of cookies and put them in my Christmas tins until all the cookies we could possibly ask to have made are made and I then make gift tins and pass them out to people.

I love baking cookies.

A few weeks ago, Pioneer Woman talked about these cookie cutters:
and I knew I needed them. I needed to make gingerbread men like these to make me giggle. So, I bought them and I used them last night.

I also purchased an advent calendar this year. Well, I try to purchase them every year, but they're always the ones you open and then throw away. Some years I can't find them and then Ebeth is sad. This year, I was searching for them at King Soopers and I could not find them! I asked an employee to help me and he said they were sold out. I told him I hate when that happens and started to leave the store. He then said to me, "Why don't you just buy a wooden one and fill it in yourself every year and you won't have to worry about finding them every year."

I apologized to the King Soopers employee for being a complete moron and bought this lovely advent calendar:
Yes, I keep my wine behind the advent calendar. That's normal.

Right?

Hanukkah is still going strong in our house. Julia asks for Hanukkah early in the morning and we have to remind her that we have to wait for it to get dark out before we have Hanukkah lights. She likes watching us light the candles and loves listening to all of the books I borrowed from the library to read before we light the candles.
I will tell you what, some of those kids books have been the best thing about us celebrating it for the first time this year. One of the books has the prayers that you say, the song you sing, the rules for how to play dreidel, and recipes for latkes and applesauce. Yes, the characters are mice, but it's been my favorite book and Julia always asks, "Mama, you got your mouse book?" before we start our Hanukkah celebrating.
Last Thursday, we had Thursday dinner with Rachel and Kim and their families and all the kids participated in the book reading and the candle lighting and the gift receiving. They didn't know much about Hanukkah and Ebeth felt very proud to be able to share how much we'd learned.
When we were reading the story about how the Greeks put statues of their gods and goddesses in the Jews' temple, I pointed out that the statues would have been of Zeus and Apollo and Athena because those were the gods that the Greeks worshiped at the time. One of Rachel's kids has been reading a lot about Ancient Greek mythology and he found that very interesting. I do too. You learn about mythology in school, but you never really learn what other people at the same time period believed in as well. You never hear that the story behind why Jewish people celebrate Hanukkah took place when Greeks were ruling and believed in their gods and goddesses.
I'm sorry. My dorkiness just took over that last paragraph. I will try to keep my love of history to a minimum.

Instead, I will tell you how hard it is to get Ebeth to take a normal picture so she looks like a normal person with a normal smile.
Sigh. Eight year olds are such weirdos.

No comments:

Post a Comment