Friday, September 19, 2014

Seven Quick Takes on The Girls, The Cats, and The Doctor

You guys, I have severely neglected my actual camera lately. 

I blame the heat.

When it is too hot outside, the last thing I want hanging around my neck and adding to "Things That Will Cause Me to Sweat More than My Scottish Heritage Naturally Bestowed Upon Me" is a heavy camera. So, I just forget to bring it places and rely on my cell phone. My cell phone is basically my quick pic camera. 

Anyway, these pictures are from August. I know. I suck. I promise to start carrying around my real camera more.

Back to the original post! It's Friday! 7 Quick Takes link up day with Jennifer Fulwiler over at Conversion Diary! Time for me to share seven random thoughts with you lovely people. Ready?


One.
Thanks for all the love and support from my post about Evan's job situation. He's diligently applying and we're hoping for some concrete things in the near future. But, while we patiently (well...maybe not as patiently as we'd like) wait for the job situation to pan out, I have been going through our house room by room and deciding what isn't going to make it for another move. 

Five people can quickly accumulate a lot of things in 3.5 years. But, it has been a great stress reliever to go through a room, sift through what needs to be kept, and declare it ready to be packed up and moved. It's kind of a shame we're not staying in the military because I feel like I've found my groove for getting a house Moving Ready.


Two.
I've been throwing around the idea of not getting a smart phone the next time it's time to upgrade my phone. Which? probably means I could totally just go in and switch my phone now since non-smart phones (dumb phones?) are basically given away at Verizon. I need to actually sit down and make a pro/con list as to why a smart phone should or should not be purchased. Any thoughts? Any of you gone back to a non-smart phone after having a smart phone?

I just don't need endless access to the internet. I am not strong enough to avoid the siren call of a smart phone. And the thing is, right now I have a Windows phone which has about 1/8 the app choices of androids or Apple phones and I still am a freakin phone addict.


Three.
Speaking of phone addictions, I can not even begin to thank everyone for the kind words about the post I put up yesterday on Mea Cuppa. The facebook comments, emails and texts were so kind. I do so love being able to share my thoughts with everyone and for those of you who read my posts here and then support Kara and I over at Mea Cuppa too, well, I just big puffy heart you all.

Some day I'm going to write a post all about why I feel like blogging is just the bees knees, because I really do think it's been such a positive thing for me and so many others. Betcha can't wait to hear me ramble about that, huh?

Four.
We have a San Antonio To Do list going in our house. We aren't for sure when we'll be moving from here, but the chances are very great we won't be living here anymore. So, we've been trying to think of some things that we either want to make sure we go see or do one more time or go and see some things we haven't gotten around to yet.

Julia has quite a few restaurants she wants to make sure we eat at "for the last time ever!". On her list--McDonald's, Chick-Fil-A and Starbucks. Erm...


Five.
I've told you all this fourteen million times, but for those of you who maybe have some how missed me cry and complain, I would ask you to please read this post and this post and this post so that you truly understand that I am not heartless...but oh my goodness, when these cats die I am DONE DONE DONE having pets that are supposed to poop in my house. Done. All done. I may or may not think upon having a dog, goat, pig, horse, chicken(s), or other such animal merely because said other animals POOP OUTSIDE.

You guys, I have two large male cats. They share one very large litter box because this house is not capable of having more than one litter box unless we decide to put the litter box in one of our bedrooms and NO FREAKING WAY. They're just so stinky. And changing the litter box is lower on my "Chores I Don't Mind Doing" list than vacuuming (and you all know I ding dong hate to vacuum).

The other day I was cleaning out the cat litter and was probably cursing under my breath (not probably, I was) when Julia came in to watch me. "Mom, when these cats die, this is going to be a pet free home, right?". Umm...guess I've voiced my opinions about that enough for it to become second hand knowledge to the six year old.

Six.
Can I take a minute here and just tell you how much I love Dr. Who? We're on season 5 right now, the first season as Matt Smith as The Doctor. I have to tell you, I am a die hard David Tennant fan. I was so unsure about this Matt Smith guy taking over that I posted on facebook for fellow Whovians to hold my hand as we started the new season. Now, I am here to tell you that I still big puffy heart David Tennant's Doctor, but Matt Smith has been delightful. And I super love Amy Pond (which, I know, many of you told me I would!). Elisabeth is such a true Whovian that she has talked us into starting the old series from the very first Doctor after we get caught up with the current reboot series. No need to twist our arms, Evan and I both agreed.

Anyway, we've got some plans for the three of us dressing as Doctor Who things (not Julia and Vivian, they are solid on being Elsa and Anna). I am soooooooo excited about Halloween this year!!!


Seven.
Everyone keeps asking how it's going with just Vivian at home and I have to say that it's going really well. We're all up in the morning well before 7 getting ready for school. Julia is so independent in the mornings. She has her own alarm clock (a Hello Kitty one I found on amazon that plays Christmas music as the alarm...I know, super weird), lays her clothes out the night before, has her lunch ready in the refrigerator so she can seamlessly throw it in her backpack. Her alarm goes off at 6:40am and she is always ready to walk to the bus stop by 7:10. And, the icing on the cake--Julia loves school. Loves it.

Elisabeth has really benefited from having a later bus pick up time and has not had to rush to get out the door on time like she did all through her elementary school years here. She's up at 6:45 and out the door by 7:45 to catch her 7:50 bus. I was like that growing up too. I just needed enough time to wake up and slothily get done what needed to get done. I hated (and still hate) being rushed to wake up.

But, Vivian is doing great. We hang out and either watch Max & Ruby (V) or read blogs while drinking coffee (me) after we've walked Julia to the bus. We go to the Y, the library, run errands. She likes to help me do laundry, dishes, and clean. She's perfectly happy playing by herself with her toys and seems to just be waiting until her Juju comes home. I think she likes getting some solo time where it's quiet and she has me to herself. She's much less aggressive when the two people she loves to antagonize the most aren't home.



Well, thanks for checking in here! I love 7 Quick Takes because it's kind of like an organized catch up time.

No comments:

Post a Comment