No, this is not it. This is Kyle and Evan circa 1989ish. They are posing next to the gingerbread house that Jana had made of the house they live in. Not only is it freaking fabulous, but look at how much Julia looks like Evan!!!!

Evan has been helping his mom make gingerbread house since he was Julia's age. He's helped her bake, cut, ice and decorate. So, when it occurred to us that we'd have to make our own this year, Evan wasn't worried at all. He's old hat when it comes to gingerbread construction. That's why I keep him around, people.
Okay, now on to our house this year, first I want to show you this picture.

This is a picture of Evan's grandpa in front of the family's grocery store around 1941. It's a well known picture in the family and I stinking love it since it has Grandpa in his Army uniform. We decided that this was the house we wanted to make as a gingerbread house after I found some plans for a country store online. We modified the plans (and by we, I mean Evan) and started baking the gingerbread.
First we started by putting the sides of the house together. (This picture courtesy of Miss Elisabeth)

Evan did most of the constructing. I was very frustrated with this part, but he didn't mind it at all, due to the years of expertise.


My little Star Wars helper. She'll be able to build her own three dimensional houses by like next year.

Evan is now constructing the posts to hold the porch roof up. It was his idea. I didn't even think about that. I either would have let the roof fall or not put one up. I'm going to keep him. I like him.


We let the sides dry overnight, and then Evan started putting the roof on. I took pictures and yapped his ears off. I was super helpful.



The posts. Okay, see how important they are? Evan is a smarty pants.


Here's where I become important!!! I am icing the roof so that I can start decorating the house. This is not Evan's part. He just eats candy and bugs me.


I decided to crush candy canes and use them as my roof decoration. Elisabeth helped me sprinkle them on. She also requested a gingerbread girl be next to the stack of fire wood so it'd look like she needed some for the fire inside.



And here's Gingerbread Grandpa. Sitting on the front porch just like in the original picture.

We were very pleased with our first house. We decided that as long as we make them together as a team we will continue to make them since the parts I hate he doesn't mind doing and vice versa.
It's all about compromise. We will stay married forever because we compromise on gingerbread house construction.
No comments:
Post a Comment