I don't always give something up for Lent. I'm not Catholic, so I wasn't raised to fast during the Lent season. However, when I started dating Evan, his church (although not Catholic either) did emphasize the Lent season and giving something up.
Although I do understand all the religious reasons behind Lent, I personally find fasting as a way to better yourself. Cause, the whole point is to give something up that you feel you "need" (aka:Diet Coke). Seeing how you don't actually "need" this thing you've given up makes you appreciate it all the more when you can have it again (aka: Diet Coke) or makes you realize that you actually don't "need" it (aka: NOT Diet Coke).
So, while pondering what I should do this year, I decided to switch it up. I don't know if this is exactly church legal, but I decided to do something that I don't normally do to better myself.
This year, for 37 days, I will drink water from my large Marigold Festival mugs before I can have a Diet Coke. No water=No Diet Coke. I also have to work out for an hour at least 5 days a week.
These two are things I should be doing anyway. And, I figured out that by adding these to my daily routine, I am giving up laziness/poor drinking habits. Things I adore.
Right now, I am a bit grumpy because it is almost 3:00PM and I haven't had my ding-dong Diet Coke yet for the day. That would be because I was ignoring my water because I'd rather have a Diet Coke.
See, it's already working.
I am pretty sure (with my catholic knowledge- from education and what not) that it is totally cool to do what you are doing. Alot of my friends don't "give up" things, but instead add something to thier plate. It' really more about the feeling of sacrafice. Working out, volunteering, going to church...all examples.
ReplyDeleteI for example, was going to give up fast food...but I forgot that when I went to Taco Bell today...whoops!
Good one, Melissa. Just consider you are easing yourself into Lent! When we started the tradition, it was to remain mindful of Christ's sacrifice. I think anything that makes us a little uncomfortable with our routine behaviors and gives us that little nudge to remember all that Easter means works for a token sacrifice. I have given up all games on my Ipod (ouch). Except, I made one caveat..when I'm with Elisabeth, I can join in games she begins, because that is something special and I know it makes God smile!
ReplyDelete