Friday, April 16, 2010

Under the weather.

I don't feel well today. I blame Elisabeth.

Elisabeth was sick first with a cold, which she lovingly gave to Julia. Julia then passed it on to Evan and me. If I've done one thing right as a parent, it is that the girls love to share.

I seem to feel worse at night, but today I can't seem to shake it. Last night was horrific in the sleep department--what with the not being able to breathe and those weird "sick" dreams I always have and Evan getting calls from security officers on base at like 3:00AM, etc. etc.--so I think that's why today I can't shake it.

Here's the thing. When I am ill, I need sleep. Sleep is definitely my drug of choice when I am feeling under the weather because 8 out of 10 times I am feeling better in no time. I am stubborn about taking unwanted/unneeded medicines, so I put those off for the last possible moment. Even as a small child, I remember sleeping endlessly when I was ill and feeling better the next day.

But, now I am a mom, and I have found that my children (especially a certain 21 month old), do not give a fiddler's fart if I am ill. They still expect me to clothe them and feed them and tend to their needs.

So, what do I do, you ask?

I call my mommy. I whine, "I'm siiiiiiiiiiick." I leave her messages about my sickness if she doesn't pick up the phone. I listen to her tell me how sorry she is that I'm sick, that I should at least lay down if I can't nap, that I should have some hot tea and make sure that I get some medicine if I need it. Then I wait for her to call me back in a day or two to see if I am feeling better. My mom is the best nurse when you are sick. She makes soup and buys popsicles. She lets you watch movies. She insists you take a warm bath. She gets cool washcloths for foreheads when you have fevers and holds your hair when you are puking into the toilet. She is so fabulous, that when Evan and I got married and moved to DeKalb, I was nervous he wouldn't know how to take care of me when I was sick. I got angry the first time I threw up and he didn't immediately hold my hair and get me a wet wash cloth to wipe off my face. How did he not know that I would need at least 2 blankets and my own pillow for the couch while I watched movies? And, didn't he know that 7up is a MUST when you have a sore throat? Not Sprite or Sierra Mist. 7UP. He's gotten better, but, honestly, I had to rethink our entire relationship.

So, I just call my mommy, even if we are 3 states apart now. It's much easier.

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet! I bet you are just as awesome when your girls are sick. I hope you already feel better :(

    ReplyDelete