First off, I need to tell you that I took over 500 pictures on Saturday and Sunday of both the hot air balloon festival and the Denver Zoo.
You will be happy to know I'm not making you look at all of them on today's post. You're welcome.
The Hot Air Balloon Festival was one of the best things I have ever been to. I have never actually been up close to a hot air balloon. It was amazing and fun and so, so neat.
We went to the Saturday night Balloon Glo. There was to be a Volkswagen car show before the balloons were all filled and lit up. Of course, Evan needed to see Volkswagens and, of course, Julia loves to sing songs about car shows on our way to the park.



There were seriously maybe 10 cars in the whole "car show", but most of them were old Beetles and those make Evan happy, so all was well.
We picked a spot to lay down our blanket to watch them fill the hot air balloons with air. The best part was, as long as no one from one of the balloon crews came and told you you were in their way, you could sit anywhere in the park that you wanted! We sat in the middle of at least 5 laid out balloons. Then we bought kettle corn and root beer. A must at any festival.
As the sun went down, they started filling the balloons.
This is the balloon we were sitting closest to.
Elisabeth was most concerned it was going to squish us. I kind of blew off her concerns because I was so busy starting to take 500 pictures and no one had told us to move. But, she was right and we had to move our stuff in order not to be squished.
Once they were all filled and it turned dark, this began:
They'd have a giant count off and then the balloons would take turns lighting their balloons.
Julia was a bit creeped out at first, but soon began counting down too.
The noise scared Elisabeth, as all loud noises do, but she too got over and was screaming the countdowns.


This was Julia's favorite balloon. :)
We had so much fun. I kind of think I had more fun than the girls. It was gorgeous to be surrounded by so many balloons and to have them all lit next to the black sky. I was more than ready to come back the next morning to see the lift off.We had to wake up at 6:00AM in order to get there on time. Evan thought maybe the balloons weren't worth waking up so early for. That's when I knew we'd need to
When we got to the park, they were already inflating the balloons.
It was a perfect morning. Not cold, not windy.
There were about 5 balloons that were positioned in such a way that when they took off, they floated over the lake and touched the basket to the water.


Some of the balloons flew right in front of the sun, making a "balloon eclipse".





We met up with Rachel and her family.
The thing I loved about this festival is that all of the balloon pilots and crew members were so unbelievably friendly. People were allowed to be as close as they wanted to the crew members as they got the balloons ready to fill. They were especially sweet to the kids who were enamored by all the strings and the fire and the baskets.
Julia spent a lot of time hugging her Pooh bear. She felt safe in her stroller.




Elisabeth hated the noise and heat from the fires in the balloons. She hid behind Evan the entire time we watched the red, white and blue balloon fill up. She was very thankful when we moved on.
Henry got to sit in the basket with the balloon pilot. I won't lie, I was a bit jealous. :)
Julia and Peter. They love each other.

Peter never looks at the camera for me. He has his own agenda, you know.
So, I got a picture of him solo where he was more than happy to ham it up for me.
Joe and Evan manning the stroller while Rachel, the kids and I oohed and ahhed over every balloon.

The kids got to hold down one of the ropes for the crew.



It was fabulous. I loved the whole experience. Now, I would love love love to go on a balloon ride and Evan said that he'd go with me. Someday...
It was a perfect morning. Not cold, not windy.
There were about 5 balloons that were positioned in such a way that when they took off, they floated over the lake and touched the basket to the water.

Some of the balloons flew right in front of the sun, making a "balloon eclipse".




We met up with Rachel and her family.
The thing I loved about this festival is that all of the balloon pilots and crew members were so unbelievably friendly. People were allowed to be as close as they wanted to the crew members as they got the balloons ready to fill. They were especially sweet to the kids who were enamored by all the strings and the fire and the baskets.
Julia spent a lot of time hugging her Pooh bear. She felt safe in her stroller. 



Elisabeth hated the noise and heat from the fires in the balloons. She hid behind Evan the entire time we watched the red, white and blue balloon fill up. She was very thankful when we moved on.
Henry got to sit in the basket with the balloon pilot. I won't lie, I was a bit jealous. :)
Julia and Peter. They love each other.
Peter never looks at the camera for me. He has his own agenda, you know.
So, I got a picture of him solo where he was more than happy to ham it up for me.
Joe and Evan manning the stroller while Rachel, the kids and I oohed and ahhed over every balloon.
The kids got to hold down one of the ropes for the crew. 


It was fabulous. I loved the whole experience. Now, I would love love love to go on a balloon ride and Evan said that he'd go with me. Someday...
That looks incredible!! We went to one earlier in the summer, but the balloons didn't even come out - it was far too windy :(
ReplyDelete