Monday, March 7, 2011

Hot Yoga

So, I know I've talked to you about yoga and how much I'm loving it.

Well, that's still true. In fact, I've committed to my relationship with yoga and bought a mat of my own. It's orange like the one pictured above. I heart it.

On Saturday, my friend Paige invited me to go to a hot yoga class with her and our friend Melinda at CorePower Yoga (a yoga specific studio). As a first timer to the studio, my class would be free. I was kind of nervous about making it through the entire hot yoga class, but decided to give it a shot. My friend Melissa did a bikram yoga (which is very similar to hot yoga but with a different name) and she has ranted and raved about how much she loved it. When I said I was going to hot yoga, she was most excited for me.

Hot yoga is basically yoga done in a sauna. The temperature in the room hovers around 100 degrees. It's hot. And sweaty. A gross sweaty.

Here's the thing--it was hard. This class had some yoga poses I hadn't done before. The instructor was a bit...intense. There was a man who was wearing the smallest pair of bike shorts possible and it was not pretty (especially with some of those yoga poses...*shudder*). But, I liked it. I did way better than I thought I would. I was so sore the next day, but it was that good sore of actually accomplishing something in a workout.

Part of becoming a new member is that you not only get one day free, you have a whole week to try out as many yoga classes as you wish! So, this Wednesday, I'm going to another hot yoga class. Yep, I liked it so much, I'm going back. And, I think I might even actually pay for a class once or twice a month. (Corepower is kind of like a pre-pay cell phone. You can pay or a whole month of classes or you can pay for classes one at a time. Some of them are kind of pricey, but for once or twice a month, it's doable.)

Oh, and I totally forgot to tell you...

I took my socks off.

4 comments:

  1. do they have you bring a towel for on top of your mat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, now, I thought hot yoga was just a slang way to talk about Bikram yoga-- but they're different? Cool. Good for you for doing that-- sounds so hard!! There are too many hippies in this town for me to do hot yoga. G-ross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they do have us bring a towel, which thank the lord I remembered because I was a sweaty, drippy mess!!!

    Omg...if I ever smell people stink i might die. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I took my socks off."

    YAY!

    ReplyDelete