Monday, March 23, 2020

Day 10.

Today was another day of...the same. 

We are back on our homeschool schedule and the girls were hard to get going. They acted like they had never math-ed before or written real words or whatnot.




It warmed up a bit today, but there was snow on the ground all morning and just another day of bleh weather.

Today a friend texted me to tell me there EGGS and RICE at a store in Rockford! Then she left them on our doorstep for us and it was the nicest thing in the whole entire world. Who would have ever thought someone finding eggs and rice would be such a Godsend?! My kids genuinely cheered.

I can't really tell you what else went on today. I know I said yes to a movie, I know kids played and talked to friends either on the phone or video chatting. I know I did laundry and made meals and tried to read for a while.

It was just a day where I felt unmotivated. It all felt really heavy and I didn't want to deep clean or rearrange things or tackle my to-do list or create anything. The outside world feels really far away and heavy.

I've decided to quit looking for news. I have one news source that I have found to be non partisan and factual and if she doesn't post, then I will assume that I don't really need to know. It's how I am keeping myself from going crazy looking at the news and panicking.

I think I need to make a list of things that I would like to get done during this time. I know that every day is not going to be productive. I think it is unwise to pretend like this isn't scary or stressful, especially because we do have to take this all one day at a time. However, despite my Sanguine/Phlegmatic temperament combo, which tends to me more big ideas with no game plan or go-with-the-flow, I need some more structure for days when I feel "end of the world-y" heaviness or like we all could use a game plan.

We are on day 10, with no real definite end date in sight, and I don't want to make unrealistic goals that end up making everyone in my house feeling more stressed, but I know that, for me, having a few big goals that I can slowly hack away at are good for me.

So, I am putting them down here for accountability:

1. Create a new chore chart. The one we had before was mainly for the summer and hasn't transitioned into the school year well at all. Plus, recently Thomas discovered his name wasn't on it and he cried tears of sadness for being left out.

2. Tackle our basement. The basement is an area for the kids, but it has never been organized in a way that fits all of our needs and that doesn't lead to it just getting trashed. I would like to really gut it and start over.

3. Finishing the younger girls room. We've been tweaking the JV Squad's room since forever. Their needs seem to keep changing as they age, and we just haven't ever completely finished organizing their room in a way that works for them.

4. Put up our picture wall upstairs. Man, this is a project I have been wanting to do since we moved in and just keep not getting around to doing.

5. Moving things around to accommodate us all being home all the time. Reorganize the kid bookshelf. Move some drawers to the living room to hold all the newly gathered art supplies. Get the leaf out of the dining room table so we can move around in there better as people are looking for places to do work and projects. (Uh, this should be my number one...)

6. Read every day.


 I pray tomorrow we can get outside. We could all use a break from being cooped up.

No comments:

Post a Comment