Thursday, March 19, 2020

Making Food For Others Is My Love Language

I didn't take any pictures today except this one today:

Julia painted two little Olafs for the boys.

I can usually tell how the day has gone if I haven't taken pictures because I love taking pictures. I love documenting our days with snapshots of what we're doing. I usually send a few pictures of the kids to Evan throughout the day. (Although, as of this evening, he is now working from home for the foreseeable future, so he can just see it all with his own eyes!!!)

But today...well today was a hard one.

I feel anxious about going to the store tomorrow for perishables. A lot of my mental wellness, I have learned over the years, revolves around the kitchen. I like being in the kitchen, I like cooking and baking, I like providing food for my family and loved ones. Food is my love language. It's how I tell you congratulations after having a baby. It's how I thank you for inviting us over to your house. It's how I show you I'm so glad you came to our house to eat with us. I like sharing cooking tips, favorite recipes, kitchen gadgets I love. It's a really big part of who I am.

In January 2011, I broke my ankle while 8 months pregnant with Vivian. If you would like to read about the hell of those weeks of hobbling around in a boot while being the most pregnant I have ever been, I wrote about it here.  Anyway, one thing that really bothered me was that I couldn't be in my kitchen. I was couch bound for weeks (literally weeks...I slept there...it was miserable) and would just watch Evan and my mom (who flew down to take care of me!) make dinners and lunches and go grocery shop and I just hated it. Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful that they fed the kids and me, but I felt displaced.

This pandemic has caused a real panic, rightly so, but the shortages of foods and necessities in the grocery stores really unsettles me. Tomorrow I am supposed to go run to the store, and I am dreading seeing empty shelves. I hate thinking about people who are now worried about feeding their families. I'm just in knots about it all.

One of my facebook friends commented that, since I've rebooted Elisablog, maybe I'd think about rebooting my Viriginia Cooks! blog. I had almost forgotten about my cooking blog, but now I think I might reboot it. When I started Virginia Cooks! I was wanting to share recipes on a small budget. We were a family of four back then and we really did have a pretty tight grocery budget. I'm thinking that maybe it might be a good idea to share meal ideas, not only on a budget money wise, but on a tight pantry supply "budget". Now, please keep in mind, there is no way I could blog daily on a cooking blog, but I probably could a couple times a week!

Since I can not personally bake every one of you a loaf of banana bread and drop it by your house as a way of showing you all that I care about you and am worried about you and this whole crazy world, I'd love to hear from any of you if you have any questions about recipes or meal ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment