Another day of isolation in the books for the Bonnetts.
I didn't have us go back to our usual homeschool schedule because, to be honest, I needed one more day to process this new reality. I needed another day to let it really sink in. Honestly, my kids have been really great about all of this. They've been accepting of us being strict with restrictions and not getting to do things. It's actually been Thomas who asks almost daily, "Where are we going today?" When I answer, "Nowhere", he's just kind of nods and goes about his way to find something in the house to destroy.
It was absolutely gorgeous today. The kind of spring day we wait for all winter long. I told the kids we could go for a walk, which they were thrilled about. Elisabeth went for a run on her own, Julia rode her bike with us for a bit and then rode around the neighborhood by herself, so the three younger ones and I were left to meander on our own. Every person we ran into crossed the street and waved at my kids; same with older kids on bikes and scooters.
We saw signs of spring! Birds were singing! Trees were budding! Green grass is growing!
Where the Sidewalk Ends.
As were walking back home, I noticed this:
I have no idea, but my kids thought it was amazing and suggested we get one.
Junior highers practicing social distancing.
Actually, today was kind of hard with friends. It was a beautiful day, my kids wanted to be outside, but so did the neighborhood kids. I can tell Julia to stay 6ft away from friends and have her understand what I mean, but it's hard with the younger three. Vivian played soccer in our cul-de-sac with her best friend, which they stayed far apart from each other pretty well for the most part, but then they went to play with chalk and were shoulder to shoulder. They don't even think about it, because why should they?!
I ended up calling the kids in (and making them scrub themselves) and telling them that we probably should only play in the backyard, especially the boys. I think I can trust the girls to play within social distancing standards by being more specific, but I can't with the boys. But, maybe I should just make the girls stay in the backyard, too. Ugh. I feel like it's just such a hard thing for them and today was so lovely and I desperately wanted to be like, "Yes!! Go play!!".
This all is just scary. And it sucks.
Tomorrow we're going back to our regular schedule. Every one up by 8:30 (which is really just Julia and Elisabeth because the younger three are always up before 7), everyone breakfasted and dressed by 9. Do some school work, holler at the boys for trying to break all of our possessions, keep trying to do school work. Break for lunch, do some arts and crafts and/or play while Julia finishes anything she has left on her schedule for the day. Then it's a free for all till dinner.
Something we are adding is scheduled break times for me, Elisabeth, Julia, and Vivian. The older two and I get an hour each where we get to go to our rooms and do whatever we want with no interruptions. We started it today, and it was exactly what I needed. I read in my bed and was shocked how fast an hour can go by when not constantly interrupted. Vivian gets to take a break from having to play with the boys and can either go play in her room for 30 minutes alone or gets to play on the Wii by herself for 30 minutes. (Elisabeth got the Wiii working again! 10 years old and still kicking!!!)
One thing that is a concern for us is the our next grocery shopping trip. We did a huge grocery run on this past Friday, but since then it sounds like the stores are all short on supplies. I am planning on going this weekend to restock on perishables, but I am kind of dreading seeing what the stores look like. It gives me some anxiety and it's something that we can't control and are just going to have to do the best we can with what the stores have to offer. Honestly, thanks to my mother-in-law and her mad cooking skills that she taught me, I am confident I can make a lot of things from scratch if I have to (like bread) and can make meals from those odd cuts of meat that seem to still be in stores. I told the kids the other day that I could make pasta if the stores didn't have any and they all looked at me like I had lost my mind. Jana had bought me a pasta roller ages ago and I haven't used it in years, but she had me make it with her enough times I know I could if needed. But, as Evan pointed out, I can't make toilet paper, so I'm going to need people to quit hoarding it (and the soap and the paper towels and the loaves of bread and the chicken because, honestly, hoarding it is just not neighborly).
Here's to another day of making it through! I'm so thankful for smart phones and social media right now for being means of communication with loved ones. Despite their many flaws (I sometimes have to put my phone down for hours to stop myself from constantly trying to refresh the news), their redeeming qualities are much appreciated during these days of quarantine.








No comments:
Post a Comment