Monday, June 15, 2020

A little catch up of the last two weeks, in reverse order

Well, Blogger decided to load my pictures backwards, so we will be going back in time for the last couple of weeks. 

I haven't posted in a bit because Evan was out of town for the Illinois National Guard. He was gone for about 10 days, and when he's gone I totally go into survival mode, so only bare minimum things are accomplished (which I guess meant blogging). Plus, when he left, we had no idea when he'd be back, so that was weird and I didn't ever get into the groove of him being gone because he could be home soon or gone for weeks.

But, he is back now!


Today we are doing a bunch of nothing. It's a total eating popsicles with your best friend in the hammock kind of day.

Today I am making Grandma Bonnett's Sweet & Spicy pickles! I was trying to think of the last time I made these and I know I have never made them in this house. I think I might have made them once in our old house here in Rockford, but if I did it was only once. David was very interested in helping.





The boys have been all about being outside. It's really gorgeous out today!


This girl and her reading is making me all kinds of happy. We checked out almost every book of the Amber Brown series and she is reading almost a book a day!


Last night's Sunday Dinner Party! We had veggies and hummus, fruit, fried pickles and ranch, popcorn, and brownies! I have never made fried pickles before, but oh-my-word, they were good! Definitely making them again. We also started watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. The boys declared they really like all the fighting. *eye roll*

Yesterday, David and his neighborhood friend brought cars to our front porch to play together. We're still not playing inside each others houses yet with our neighborhood friends, so they found a good comprise.

We got to go to Mass yesterday! It was David's first one since March! He did a great job, even with his mask. We decided to still keep Thomas home until things are a little less mask-y and restrictive.


On Saturday, Evan's first full day back home from his Air Force job, the boys declared they wanted to wash Evan's car and their own cars.


I believe they are writing a movie script.


Now, the reason that the boys wanted to wash their cars on Saturday was because on Friday evening they had played in and coated their cars in mud from a very muddy spot in our neighbor's driveway.





Pre-mud bath, they were sweeping the street.

A little breakfast reading.

Last Tuesday we went over to our friend's house for a picnic lunch and some outside playing before the 100% guaranteed rain storms in the afternoon.

Michael looks teeny and tiny next to that tree!



David and Tommy were the sweetest having the cutest conversation about going into kindergarten and David's upcoming birthday as they teeter-tottered.


Thomas is always on the table. Always. 

Our dinner party from Sunday, June 7th. I made peanut butter bars, popcorn, veggies, fruit, giant pickles, and pita chips and hummus. We also watched Hairspray. We've decided to start trying to watch the musicals on the list we made at the beginning of the summer. We're definitely going to have to rent some, though, because they are hard to find on the streaming stations.

Last Sunday we split up for Mass since Evan was out of town. I took Vivian while the older girls stayed home with the boys and then Ebeth and Julia went to a later Mass. David was disappointed that he didn't get to go that week, but I really wanted to see what Mass was going to look like before bringing smaller kiddos.

My kids always find and hold worms.


He has become quite the scooter-er.


We always have a group of bikes at our house because we always have a group of kids of varying ages at our house.

On Saturday, June 6th, Vivian totally fell off her bike and landed on her chin. She was traumatized. It was a pretty bad fall. Later that afternoon, she was right back on it. She is fearless.

She crashed right as my father-in-law was pulling into the driveway with my nephews to surprise my kiddos. So, instead of a huge hug of joy, Papa got to give her a consoling hug and help bandage her up.
After we had Vivian all patched up, the kids were so excited to spend the day with Ethan and Owen and Papa!

Keith helped get some bikes patched up for us and the boys were more than happy to help him out.


Aunt Kyle sent her famous banana chocolate chip bread. I always tell David about how Kyle has been making him banana bread since he was a baby because he loved it so much, and was so shy, that it was the only way Kyle could get David to come to her. This batch he declared himself the boss of and was a little less than judicious in handing it out to others.

On the Friday before we had visitors, we went to the Prewetts for some much needed visiting. In fact, I spent so much time talking with Kara that I only took a couple of pictures!

Her sign on her coffee bar might be my favorite one she's had yet. 



The boys trying to help me out. 

A little bit of porch reading.

We are gearing up to go spend this coming weekend in Pekin! David's birthday is Saturday and Father's Day is Sunday, so we'll be spending a lot of our time celebrating. I'm so excited to get to see our people and hug them! Last night Thomas was clarifying that we won't need to wear masks in Papa's house. He was worried about how he'd eat breakfast.

Even though it is officially the middle of June, it feels like summer is just really happening because we're starting to plan things and do things with others. Time is just so weird right now. And! We haven't been hiking in over two weeks!! We didn't go at all when Evan was gone, and then this weekend, when the weather would have been perfect, my car decided to have a hose break and be in the shop all weekend while they wait for a part. No worries, we're planning on going on a hike while we're in Pekin! Then it's back to visiting all the Winnebago Forest Preserves!

No comments:

Post a Comment