Sunday, June 28, 2020

Summer time and the living is...hot. It's just really hot.

I will not lie to you all, I greatly dislike hot, humid weather with a loathing that only someone who is genetically supposed to live in a cooler, cloudier climate can feel.

That being said, I have been dragging my feet on going on hikes if the weather is even slightly predicted to be above 80 degrees. Forgetaboutit if it's really humid.

I did, however, take the kids to a local-ish farm to pick some strawberries one morning a little over a week ago. I have always wanted to take them berry picking, but I always, always, always miss that short window when berries are perfectly ripe. Not this year! This year, with the help of Covid-19 health and safety recommendations, I was able to sign up for a time slot, put it on our physical calendar, and actually be ready to go strawberry picking!!

Our time slot was at 10am, therefore beating the heat and humidity. We had to wear masks inside their little barn area where we got the baskets to fill with strawberries and pay for things, but since they only had a certain number of people in the fields (which are obviously outside), we were mask free most of the trip.

Also, the weather was gorgeous!


We had four baskets. The JV Squad each had their own and Elisabeth and I partnered with a boy to help them pick.

David was done picking before everyone else and pretty grumpy about how bright the sun was, which was valid. I definitely should have remembered hats.


Julia was a trooper because she actually hates strawberries (like her father, who had to work and wouldn't have come even if he didn't have to work, that is how great his hatred of strawberries is). There was one point where she got strawberry juice on her hands and mumbled that maybe she should have stayed home with Evan.

Vivian was a strawberry picking machine. You'll not be shocked to know she wandered further down the rows away from us and had her basket full well before the rest of us.





This boy was so darn cute when picking the berries. He loooooves strawberries and ate quite a few after we got home and got them all washed.


In other summer news, last week I went to my favorite spot, Meg's, for coffee and reading at their outdoor area. The weather was perfect, so I wasn't grumpy about being outside.

However, this week I was able to GO INSIDE!!! They don't have many tables inside, and when I went there were only two other tables occupied, so it was dreamily quiet and peaceful. I get to start having coffee Wednesdays again!

This might be one of my favorite pictures of Julia ever. She reads every night until probably midnight, but does it with a headlamp so she doesn't disturb a sleeping Vivian.

I have no idea what kind of caterpillar this is, but it was wondering around in our house and I relocated him to our garden.

Look! Our butterfly bushes are thriving!

Our neighbors love us.

I love it when David parks his lawn mower by Evan's.

The boys have been asking to paint again. Obviously you need a chainsaw with you, just in case.

When I am able to escape the children long enough in the mornings to get dressed, this is often the scene awaiting me outside my door.

Speaking of our garden, let's take a tour!
The tomatoes are flowering and started to bud tomatoes!!!

As are our green beans!

Our first banana pepper!

Man, I love marigolds.

I was so worried the late freeze at the end of May had killed all of my marigolds, but it didn't!


My rose bush is thriving!

As is the murderous one!

My favorite weed. I call it the daisy week and I am letting it grow in our garden.

The condos behind us got a new roof and it required a crane and it might have been the best day ever for the boys.

This is how Thomas watched the action.


We are planning on another berry picking expedition to a local blueberry farm run by friends from our co-op soon! I plan on making lots of cobblers and pies in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment