Tuesday, October 27, 2009

We're stock piling for winter...cause we're new to Colorado, that's why!

My parents are coming tomorrow! I am most excited. I haven't seen them since June and my dad has never seen our house. We have some things planned, nothing too extravagant, but first we'll be needing the weather to cooperate. You see, it plans on snowing a LOT this week. So, being that we are from Illinois (which does have it's fair share of snow) and not having ever spent a winter in Colorado, we are preparing as if we are squirrels before hibernation.

We have:
-Salt for the sidewalk and driveway. I am not sure footed and am guaranteed to fall on the ice.
-A brand new big, red shovel for digging out cars, driveways and sidewalks. Also, we have a small snow blower I bought at a garage sale.
-We have a small collection of canned and boxed goods. Oh, and a bag of frozen chicken. You see, we've been hearing a few stories of how sometimes you can't get out of your house and we run out of side dishes for meals. Better store up on canned veggies and spaghetti-o's, right?
-Enough cat food and cat litter to last a week if necessary. Cause they are super insane when they don't have food.
-Extra diet coke in the garage. (a must!)


Now, do we need to be that ready? Probably not. I'm sure we're overreacting. But, if we weren't ready for a 3-4 day snow in, what would happen? We'd have a 3-4 day snow in. Duh.

I know, the snow goes a way much quicker here than in IL. I've seen it. But, as I've mentioned in the past, there are no trees here. Nothing blocks the wind from drifting snow into snowbanks. Plus, I have yet to see a snowplow anywhere. And, they have giant gates that block the interstates and highways. That is creepy, people. I have never lived somewhere that might intentionally close down it's entire interstate because of snow and ice. So, we are in pre-hibernation mode.

How is our home that is infested with all types of illnesses, you ask? Oh, about the same. Evan and Ebeth are better. They both have lingering coughs, but nothing to lose sleep over. Julia's kind of a mess still. She's all coughy and snotty. She'd lost her voice, which is super sad. This'll make the 4th time in her teeny, tiny life that she's lost it. Oh, and she's still teething, so there's the pain of that too. Me? Well, I'm much better today then yesterday. I went to get an ultrasound done to see how many kidney stones I have and whatnot. They're super small, which is why I wasn't in as much pain as last time, and pretty close to passing. I will be visting my urologist soon though. Fun.

But, on the bright side? Halloween is THIS weekend!!! I love Halloween. It is my absolute favorite holiday. Be prepared for a bajillion pictures after this weekend!!!

2 comments:

  1. you are new here. :) the snow is usually gone in a few days. i think i might have shovelled twice in all the years i've lived here. but, i am super lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am unduly frightened by the idea of "a bag of frozen chicken." I'm not entirely sure why...

    ReplyDelete