Well, at least once they are of junior high age. I was walking to go get Elisabeth from school this week (in case I forgot to mention, the weather has been GORGEOUS here) and the junior high lets out the same time I leave to walk to get Ebeth. There are swarms of 6th-8th graders in their little clumps of friends, truckin' it down the hill, screaming at each other, running into the streets, wearing clothes that are not appropriate for children to be wearing. Julia loves walking by them because they are so loud and obnoxious and she can stare at them. I've worked with junior high kids and I realize that they are still human (though a lesser kind of human) and have built up a tolerance for their silly, irratic behaviors. But, then I saw this one girl. Walking down amongst the huge crowd of her peers, but walking alone. No one's trying to catch up to her. No one's talking to her. She's walking alone. And then I remember how cruel these kids can be at this age and I'd really rather not have to deal with the heartbreak and uncertainty that comes with junior high and puberty and the like. So, I'll just ship them off and get them back when they're juniors in high school.
Because this one just turned 7 and is a lot closer to the tween years then I'd like to believe...

She's having her birthday party tomorrow and she is super excited. I have to start working on her cake in a few minutes. I'm a bit intimidated since it's a 3-dimensional wizard's hat. But, the recipe says it's easy to esemble, so we'll see.
On Monday, Elisabeth got to open her presents from us. She loved her Wizards of Waverly Place Barbie doll.

And the birthday meal she chose consisted of tuna helper, corn on the cob and applesauce.

Julia decided it was her job to carry around the small garbage bag of wrapping paper. She's been carrying it places all week, actually.


Time for singing! The cat was dancing.



This is her telling Ethan goodnight. They all sang along with us on speaker phone. She's been talking about Ethan all week and even painted a picture of her and him playing outside at school. :(

Time for birthday pie!

Alright, time to tackle a chocolate wizard hat cake. Wish me luck!
Oh! Now I'm sad for the girl walking alone. Happy birthday Elisabeth! Love how Barbie is eating dinner with you h=guys-- too funny. And seriously, could Julia be any cuter?
ReplyDelete