Saturday, November 14, 2009

I'm going to start a museum.

Apparently in Peoria, they are polling people to see if there is interest in having a Creation Museum. A Creation Museum is where they tell the story of the creation of the world through the telling of the Christian Bible. I highly doubt that Peoria will vote to have a new museum built due to being cheap. I'd like to think they'd want to work on their zoo and Lakeview museum a little more, but that's just me. Plus, I don't think that the city's taxes should be used to fund a religious museum, but that's a different post altogether.

Anyway, I got to thinking about this Creation Museum and it kind of started bugging me. First off, a museum is supposed to be a learning experience where you explore and learn different things. Things that are from different cultures, centuries, or peoples. You should be able to walk around and get a sense of exploring. With the Creation Museum, you are getting the Christian Bible laid out in front of you in exhibit form. I'm not saying that's a terrible thing, but it's not a museum. You're not learning different interpretations of history or creation at this place. You are only learning one. And with all the diversity in the country, it doesn't seem too fair to only have one certain religion's view on creation to be given a whole museum unless the city's willing to have other religions and cultures just as equally represented in museum form as well.

So, I've decided to start my own museum. In my museum, it will be about the creation of the world, but it won't just be the Christian Bible interpretation. It will have all the interpretations from different religions, cultures and peoples. It will have the stories of creation from the Ancient Romans, the Aztecs, Native Americans, Ancient China, Native Americans, Middle Eastern religions, etc. You'd get to explore each different region of the world and what they used to believe and what they believe now. There'd be an area where you'd get to compare and contrast the similarities and differences between the many creation stories. It would be history and learning and everything a true museum should be. How awesome would that be?

So, I will be looking for sponsorship and brainsmarts on how to fund and start said museum. I think it would be the bestest museum EVER!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. funny thing...I was going to blog about the separation of church and state...and, reason number 746 I moved out of Central IL.

    ReplyDelete