Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Oh, how I do so love to cook.

And, oh, how Elisabeth is loving learning how to crochet.
And, oh, how Julia loves computer time at the library (though she is quite violent when it doesn't do what she wants).

But, truly, I do so love to cook. There's something about being in the kitchen creating new and delicious meals that really calms me down. When I'm bored or upset, I feel better if I'm baking or cooking. The more complex or intricate the recipe, the better. It's kind of like how I lose myself in a book (and ignore my family, as Evan is thinking as he reads this), except that I'm using my hands and can still communicate with others. Plus, I love it when Evan and the girls actually love what I'm cooking and give me compliments. I'm not embarrassed, compliments are awesome!

Recently I tried a new and exciting concept called "meal planning". This is when you plan the meals for the week, only grocery shop for the items that are needed for said meals. I know, I'm a genius, right? We used to do this after we first got married and planning meals for the three of us was intimidating (as was grocery shopping and laundry and other things that were shared or done by others when we lived with our parents in Pekin). After we got used to feeding ourselves, I didn't meal plan anymore. But, it was starting to bite us in the butt a little bit...

Then all we were doing was constantly asking, "What do you want for dinner? I don't know what do you want? I don't know, what are you in the mood for?" Seriously, that was getting super annoying. And expensive. I would go to the store and buy a million pounds of pasta, some meat, cereal by the truck load, get home, and then realize that I had nothing to make a decent meal with, so I'd be right back to the store again buying more. So not smart.

Now, I plan next week's meals on Thursday (since I normally grocery shop on Fridays). I plan five meals with sides (we heart sides) and then only grab the stuff at the store that I need. It works so well. I'd say I've been doing this for over a month and a half now, and my stress level around dinner time is 85% less then it used to be. (I still have some stress due to Julia being a cranky-bottom from 4:30 till supper is being shoveled into her mouth) We also don't argue with the menu. We might switch a day around with another day, but we don't stray from what's been set for the week. Plus, our grocery bills have been drastically lower as well. Lovely!

The other thing I love about our new meal system is that I have been trying out so many new recipes. I am an avid recipe collector and a couple of years ago Evan made fun of me for collecting all these recipes but never actually making them. After I gave him a black eye, I realized that he was right. So, when we moved out here to Colorado, I decided to try at least one new recipe a week. That has since grown to me really going through all of my cook books (cause I collect those too, you know) and making new recipes 3-4 times a week. Now that it's fall/winter, I have been making homemade soup once a week. I was kind of intimidated by this challenge due to never actually making homemade soup before, but I have been so pleasantly surprised at how easy and simple most of the recipes are that I'm kicking myself for not trying them sooner!!! Last week I made a delicious broccoli and cheese soup that every one loved!!! And with Evan making his famous chili (that's different every time since he likes to experiment), we've been eating like gods these last few weeks.

Wanna see what was on the menu for this week? Well, let me share!

Monday: Rotini w/Roasted Garlic Sauce; salad; applesauce
Tuesday: Chicken Soup with Rice (AWESOME!!!); Caesar Salad
Wednesday: Chicken Pot Pie; cooked carrots
Thursday: Pepperoni Pizza Stuffed Biscuits; cottage cheese; salad
Friday: Lemon Chicken with Olives; a green vegetable

Yummers! I already have next weeks planned too, since I had to get our Thanksgiving menu set. Then we eat leftovers on the weekends or for lunch through the week and easy meals like corndogs and macaroni and cheese. I love it. And Elisabeth knows now that if she wants a certain meal, to just ask for it to be put on the menu and she might get it the next week.

So now that you know of my love of recipes, any and all you want to share would be greatly appreciated! I'm always up for something new!!!!



2 comments:

  1. one of the blogs I follow is a great blog by my friend Emily where she shares all her recipies. Its great. you should follow it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we do this, too! we even have a super dorky menu board posted on our fridge. although lately, even the menus on the board have been suuuuuper lazy. thanks for sharing your menu-- looks delish!

    ReplyDelete